Here at Young People For, we are in solidarity with those who are observing “A Day without Women”. For us, the purpose of this day is to come together to call for equity and justice for all women, trans*, gender nonconforming, and femme identified folks, by calling attention to their impact in society and contributions in paid and unpaid labor.
As a staff of all women-identified folks of color, we at YP4 have decided to participate in the action by refraining from work on this day. We recognize that this form of resistance is a privilege, and we encourage the folks in our network to resist in the ways that are best for them. We are in solidarity with those who cannot afford to withdraw from paid or unpaid labor, and see their determination to work as an act of resistance. From those who are caregivers, to stay-at-home moms, to executive directors and teachers we see labor in all shapes and forms.
We encourage those in our network who have the capacity, to take a form of action in solidarity with this movement. Below are a number of ways that you can take action or be in solidarity:
- If you are able to, take the day off.
- Avoid shopping for one day (with exceptions for small, women– and minority-owned businesses).
- Attend a rally or march in your locality.
- Wear RED in solidarity.
- Post on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, your picture, thoughts, or personal experiences with gender discrimination with the hashtags #YP4Resistance and #ADayWithoutWomen.
- Contact your representative to express your opinion.