Fellowship Program Manager
People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values; monitors, exposes, and challenges the Religious Right movement and its political allies; identifies, trains, and supports the next generation of progressive leaders through its Young People For youth leadership programs and its Young Elected Officials Network; and carries out nonpartisan voter education, registration, civic participation, and election protection activities.
Young People For (YP4) is a progressive leadership development program focused on identifying, engaging, and empowering the next generation of progressive leaders. YP4 is dedicated to identifying young campus and community leaders, engaging them, and supporting them with the skills and resources they need to create change. Together, People For and YP4 are building a long-term network of emerging leaders committed to protecting our nation’s fundamental rights and freedoms.
YP4 has three overarching priorities: 1) to diversify leadership in the progressive movement; 2) to support young leaders to effect change in their communities now; and 3) to ensure that young change-makers are sustained in their leadership over the long term. Over the past decade, YP4 has invested in more than 1,650 young, progressive leaders pursuing and promoting social justice in communities and on campuses across the country.
The position is located in Washington, DC and reports to the Director of Young People For.
- In collaboration with the Director of Young People For and the Fellowship department team, develop and manage department budget, set and monitor annual department goals, and train and support department staff to meet their professional and leadership goals.
- Oversee the development, implementation, and evaluation of all fellowship program initiatives including: implementation of Regional Trainings and National Summit, Fellow individual leadership development plans, Blueprints for Social Justice, training and curriculum development, etc.
- Work collaboratively with the Public Affairs and Policy department to ensure engagement of YP4 alumni with the current Fellowship Class and programming.
- Work collaboratively with the Public Affairs and Policy department to manage the Courts Matter and Civic Engagement & Vote programs.
- Ensure the effective management of the annual Fellowship recruitment and selection processes, including working with the Fellowship team to develop recruitment and selection goals, strategy, and work plans.
- Participate in the development and evaluation of new curriculum. Conduct research and consult with the Director, staff, partners, and other appropriate stakeholders in the design and development of new curriculum.
- Coordinate the review/assessment of current curriculum to ensure that the content is meeting intended objectives and requirements.
- Develop and maintain research database that may be utilized to develop and review curriculum.
- Use evaluations and data to make recommendations for how to improve and edit curricula on an annual basis.
- Identify and lead a team of facilitators who will assist in curriculum development.
- Work closely with Fellowship Associates to manage day-to-day communication with Fellows.
- Assist Fellows’ social justice work on their campuses or in their communities, and work with them to plan and execute sustainable, community-driven projects.
- Regularly assess emerging needs in department and work to build new initiatives or evaluate current programs.
- Work closely with and support the Director of YP4 in her role as the principal voice of Young People For, provide both material/content as well as thought partnership;
- Serve as the external face of the Fellowship department with Fellows, alumni.
- Support efforts to strengthen relationships with key local, state, and national partnerships/alliances to influence programming to further the mission and vision of Young People For.
- 3-5 years related experience including grassroots, political, student or youth organizing and/or leadership development work.
- Experience in successfully managing a campaign, project, or initiative preferred.
- Experience managing and leading a diverse team of young people.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment; must be well organized, detail-oriented and able to effectively manage competing priorities and frequent deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to work effectively with a variety of people.
- Experience with navigating and mitigating conflict with a diverse group
- Strong commitment to professional and personal development.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent research skills.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex information and present in a usable format.
- Ability to work independently, with supervision, and as part of a team.
- Familiarity with tools and resources that social media provides young organizers (Twitter campaigns, Facebook, hashtag creation).
- Familiarity with MS Office applications, experience with online communities, and interest in web-based tools to advance progressive causes.
- Demonstrated staff management experience including ability to supervise, motivate and evaluate staff
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse audience through various mediums, including email, conference calls, webinars, and public speaking engagements.
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and/or events, and meet frequent deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to travel occasionally and to work additional hours when needed.
- Familiarity with progressive issues and a commitment to the issues Young People For works on.
- College degree required.
To apply: Send resume, statement of interest, and sample of developed curriculum to Human Resources, People For the American Way Foundation, 1101 15th Street, NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20005. Email email@example.com. No phone calls please.
People For the American Way Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer