Curriculum & Leadership Coordinator
Young People For (YP4), a Program of People for the American Way, is seeking an enthusiastic, organized, self-motivated Curriculum & Leadership Associate with high initiative and attention to detail to support the Fellowship Program Manager in daily department operations.
Young People For (YP4) is a progressive leadership development program focused on identifying, engaging, and empowering the next generation of progressive leaders. YP4 is dedicated to identifying young leaders, engaging them, and supporting them with the skills and resources they need to create change. Together, People For and YP4 are building a long-term network of emerging leaders committed to protecting our nation’s fundamental rights and freedoms.
YP4 has three overarching priorities: 1) to diversify leadership in the progressive movement; 2) to support young leaders to effect change in their communities now; and 3) to ensure that young change-makers are sustained in their leadership over the long term. Over the past decade, YP4 has invested in more than 1,700 young, progressive leaders pursuing and promoting social justice in communities and on campuses across the country.
The position is located in Washington, DC and reports to the Fellowship Program Manager.
- Support fellows’ social justice work on their campuses, communities, and work with them to design, implement and evaluate their Blueprints for Social Justice.
- Lead the budgeting, allocating, and reporting of the Blueprint for Social Justice process of seed grants.
- Execute and evaluate the core fellowship’s mentorship program, curriculum development and overall program evaluations.
- Manage the YP4 Curriculum & Leadership Associate’s fall, spring and summer interns, their orientation to the work and throughout their internship experience.
- Facilitate the training of alumni and partner trainers for YP4 Regional Trainings and the National Summit
- Coordinate YP4’s training facilitation, curriculum and speaker engagements at non-YP4 events and conferences.
- Support and maintain substantive relationships with fellows through regular communication including in-person meetings, phone calls, and e-mail exchanges and provide support and coaching for fellows as they engage in individualized leadership development activities, short- and long-term planning, and goal setting.
- Represent the Young People For team at local, state, regional, and national conferences and events.
- Support the development of relationships with local, state, regional, and national partners.
- Support with the recruitment for our Fellowship Program year-round.
- Contribute to the YP4 Blog, social media, and special projects as needed.
- 2-3 years related experience including grassroots, political, student or youth organizing and/or leadership development work.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment; must be well organized, detail-oriented and able to effectively manage competing priorities and frequent deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to work effectively with a variety of people.
- Strong commitment to continued personal and professional leadership development.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex information and present in a usable format.
- Ability to work independently, with supervision, and as part as a team.
- Ability and willingness to travel occasionally and to work additional hours when needed.
- Familiarity with MS Office applications; SALSA; and experience with online communities and interest in web-based tools to advance progressive causes.
- Familiarity with the progressive community and a commitment to the issues Young People For and alumni work on.
- Fluency in multiple languages a plus.
To apply: Send resume, statement of interest, and two writing samples to Human Resources, People For the American Way Foundation, 1101 15th Street, NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20005. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. No telephone call please.
People For the American Way Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer