Communications Intern – Fall 2016
Young People For (YP4), a Program of People for the American Way, is seeking an enthusiastic, organized, self-motivated intern with high initiative and attention to detail to support the Fellowship team in daily department operations.
Young People For (YP4) is a progressive leadership development program focused on identifying, engaging, and empowering the next generation of progressive leaders. YP4 is dedicated to identifying young campus and community leaders, engaging them, and supporting them with the skills and resources they need to create change. People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values; identifies, trains, and supports the next generation of progressive leaders through its Young People For youth leadership programs and its Young Elected Officials Network; and carries out nonpartisan voter education, registration, civic participation, and election protection activities.
Together, PFAW and YP4 are building a long-term network of emerging leaders committed to progressing our country and world to be a more equitable and just place.
YP4 has three overarching priorities: 1) to diversity leadership in the progressive movement; 2) to support young leaders to effect change in their communities now; and 3) to ensure that young leaders are sustained in their leadership over the long term. The core of YP4 is our one-year Fellowship Program for progressive college students, which supports and empowers them to create progressive social change on their campuses and in their communities. The Alumni Program works with the alumni of the one-year Fellowship to continue to support their development as progressive leaders and participants in the progressive movement.
The position is located in Washington, DC and reports to the Communications Associate.
- Support the Young People For Public Affairs and Policy Department in the development and execution of digital and traditional media strategies designed to grow our network, engage our alumni, and expand YP4’s thought-leadership in the youth justice space;
- Assist the Communications Associate in the day-to-day management of all YP4’s communications products — including content for our social media accounts, email newsletters, website, and blog;
- Support the Communications Associate’s work to engage traditional and earned media mentions;
- Conduct research directed by the Communications Associate and Public Affairs and Policy Manager on a host of departmental reports, fact sheets, policy briefs, and other publications;
- As needed, provide fact-checking and copyediting support to members of the Public Affairs and Policy Department;
- Assist Fellowship staff members with day-to-day communication with Fellows;
- Draft content for the YP4 blog, website, and published special reports as needed;
- Perform administrative support and duties as needed.
- Experience with grassroots, political, student or youth organizing and/or youth leadership development;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment; must be well organized, detail-oriented and able to effectively manage competing priorities and frequent deadlines;
- Excellent writing skills, including the ability to write for diverse audiences over different mediums;
- Ability to work independently, with supervision, and as part of a team;
- Prior experience managing organizational social media accounts highly desired;
- Familiarity with MSOffice, WordPress, and SALSA CRM; experience with online communications and interest in web-based tools to advance progressive causes;
- Familiarity with the progressive community, and a commitment to the issues that Young People For Fellows and alumni work on;
- Commitment to continued personal growth and leadership development;
- Fluency in multiple languages a plus.
To apply, send resume and statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with “YP4 Commnications Intern” in the subject.
People For the American Way Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer