Young People For: Policy and Civic Engagement Intern
Young People For (YP4) is seeking an enthusiastic, organized, self-motivated Policy and Civic Engagement intern with high initiative and attention to detail to assist the YP4 team in daily department operations, with a specific focus on assisting YP4 run its civic engagement and policy projects.
Young People For (YP4) is a progressive leadership development program focused on identifying, engaging, and empowering the next generation of progressive leaders. YP4 is dedicated to identifying young campus and community leaders, engaging them, and supporting them with the skills and resources they need to create change. Together, People For and YP4 are building a long-term network of emerging leaders committed to protecting our nation’s fundamental rights and freedoms.
YP4 has three overarching priorities: 1) to diversify leadership in the progressive movement; 2) to support young leaders to effect change in their communities now; and 3) to ensure that young leaders are sustained in their leadership over the long term. The core of YP4 is our one-year Fellowship Program for progressive college students, which supports and empowers them to create progressive social change on their campuses and in their communities. The Alumni Program works with the alumni of the one-year Fellowship to continue to support their development as progressive leaders and participants in the progressive movement.
YP4 works with young activists from across the country to engage thousands of youth and voters from other marginalized communities in the electoral process, on issue-based campaigns, and in uplifting the voices of progressive youth in political and policy discussions. The YP4 Policy and Civic Engagement Intern will assist YP4’s Policy and Civic Engagement Associate in running the organization’s non-partisan voter engagement initiatives, the Youth Courts Matter Initiative, issue campaigns, and capacity building and communication strategies.
The position is located in Washington, DC and reports to the Policy and Civic Engagement Associate.
- Support the Young People For Public Affairs and Policy Department in its efforts to help current Fellows and our alumni field win meaningful policy change at the local, state, and national level;
- Assist the Policy and Civic Engagement Associate on research projects including but not limited to the preparation of state policy briefs, fact sheets, public education campaign materials, and other policy-related publications;
- Monitor and prepare reports on policy develops affecting young people at the local, state, and national level;Coordinate research on issue-specific policy matters as directed by the Policy and Civic Engagement Associate;
- Assist with the coordination of YP4’s two Civic Engagement Initiatives: a nonpartisan voter engagement effort and a program to explore the connections between social justice organizing and the federal courts;
- Draft content for policy-related website updates;
- Support the Young People For team to plan and execute its various trainings;
- Assist Fellowship staff members with day-to-day communication with Fellows as needed;
- Perform administrative support and duties as needed.
- Experience with grassroots, political, student or youth organizing and/or leadership development;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment; must be well organized, detail-oriented and able to effectively manage competing priorities and frequent deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to work effectively with a variety of people;
- Excellent written communications skills, fluency in English and Spanish desired;
- Experience managing social media outlets;
- Ability to work independently, with supervision, and as part of a team;
- Experience tracking local, state, and federal legislation, preferred;
- Familiarity with MSOffice applications and SALSA CRM; experience with online communities and interest in web-based tools to advance progressive causes;
- Familiarity with the progressive community, and a commitment to the issues that Young People For Fellows and alumni work on.
To apply, send resume and statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with “YP4Young People For: Policy and Civic Engagement Intern” in the subject.
People For the American Way is an equal opportunity employer.