Advanced Leadership & Alumni Programs Coordinator
People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values; monitors, exposes, and challenges the Religious Right movement and its political allies; identifies, trains, and supports the next generation of progressive leaders through its Young People For youth leadership programs and its Young Elected Officials Network; and carries out nonpartisan voter education, registration, civic participation, and election protection activities.
Young People For (YP4) is a progressive leadership development program focused on identifying, engaging, and empowering the next generation of progressive leaders. YP4 is dedicated to identifying young campus and community leaders, engaging them, and supporting them with the skills and resources they need to create change. Together, People For and YP4 are building a long-term network of emerging leaders committed to protecting our nation’s fundamental rights and freedoms.
YP4 has three overarching priorities: 1) to diversify leadership in the progressive movement; 2) to support young leaders to effect change in their communities now; and 3) to ensure that young change-makers are sustained in their leadership over the long term. Over the past decade, YP4 has invested in more than 1,650 young, progressive leaders pursuing and promoting social justice in communities and on campuses across the country.
The position is located in Washington, DC and reports to the Director of Young People For.
- Work with the Program Director to set quarterly Alumni engagement goals and ensure the department achieves monthly engagement deliverables;
- Manage program components of all Alumni trainings designed for Fellows who have completed the first year of the Fellowship program and for seasoned Alumni;
- Collect and manage data for the Alumni Database to maintain critical information about the work of our Alumni;
- Work with the Director to develop and track relationships, lists, and critical information
- Assist the Director to develop and manage core national and local allies and partnerships to identify trainings and blueprint support opportunities for Alumni;
- Work to identify the professional development opportunities, materials and resources for online audiences;
- Capture stories and leadership profiles of Alumni and seek out opportunities to showcase their work in the media, at conferences, etc. to build the programmatic narrative;
- Co-manage the Alumni Advisory Council including, recruitment, selection, assessment and training support for the council;
- Initiate and manage partnership opportunities for events and trainings at national conferences and events for Alumni;
- Identify resources that will assist Young People For in designing training and professional development opportunities;
- Coordinate all YP4 Alumni communications and provide marketing support.
- Manage department interns in the summer, spring and fall.
- 2 – 4 years related work experience.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex data and present in a usable format.
- Excellent written communications skills, computer literacy and experience in using the Internet in progressive work;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment; must be well organized, detail-oriented and able to effectively manage competing priorities and frequent deadlines;
- Strong strategic thinking and the ability to frame project approaches and structure thoughtful analysis
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences;
- Experience with public speaking or exemplary group facilitation and presentation skills.
- Data management experience (Salsa, Salesforce, Convio).
- Strong sense of creativity and innovation and a strong commitment to professional development.
- Good interpersonal skills, including ability to work effectively with a diverse groups and communities..
- Ability to work independently, with supervision, and as part as a team;
- Familiarity with the progressive community, progressive issues, community organizing, and the political process;
- Experience with student or youth organizing; YP4 Alumni preferred;
- Ability and willingness to travel occasionally and to work additional hours when needed and to work nights and weekends;
- Familiarity with tools and resources that social media provides young organizers (Twitter campaigns, Facebook, hashtag creation).
- Familiarity with progressive issues, and a commitment to the issues Young People For works on.
- College degree required.